Horse names are filled with tradition, history, and beauty. We’ve compiled a list of really cool horse names that are perfect for every equine breed. So it’s no surprise that once you settle on a name, you might have trouble picking just one.
Your horse’s name is an integral part of its identity. It will be used throughout their life. That’s why it is essential to choose a name that fits your horse well. Although many of these names will work for just about any horse, we also included a few of the breed-specific names that you might want to try.
So check out our list of cool horse names, and find the perfect name for your horse!
What’s in a Horse’s Name?
Horse names are steeped in tradition. Every name is carefully selected, often passed down through multiple generations. In addition, families often have their naming traditions, leading to many names that fit a specific theme.
They might also match a horse’s personality or a notable event. That’s why we chose to include both the origins and meanings of some famous names.
Of course, a name that is perfect for one horse might not suit another. When choosing a horse name, consider both personality and breed. Horses are good at reading body language, so they’ll be able to pick up on your intention if you’re giving them a command under an alias!
When in doubt, just remember that it should feel unique to both you and your horse. If you don’t love the name, then no one will.
A List of Popular Horse Names
Here’s a rundown of the common horse names in the United States. While the precise popularity of a given name may vary between states and registries, the list provides a good overview of the most common horse names.
19. Ginger Snap
|26. Buddy Boy|
27. Princess Leia
29. Black Jack
31. Sally May
34. Peppermint Patty
36. Cocoa Puff
39. Strawberry Fields Forever
40. Gingerbread Cookie
41. Midnight Blue
45. Midnight Rider
Coat Color Horse Names
As you might expect, there are plenty of horse names available with specific coat colors. You can choose to name your horse after its color, or you might use the same nickname for multiple horses. These are some of the most popular color horse names available.
|Black Horse Names||Palomino and Buckskin Names||Chestnut Horse Names||Grey Horse Names||Buckskin Horse Names|
3. Golden Girl
4. Amber Rose
3. Copper Penny
6. Tiger Lily
|1. Wisp of Smoke|
2. Smoke Signal
3. Misty Topaz
4. Moon Shadow
5. Cloud Nine
|1. Starlight Starbright|
2. Cream Puff
4. Robin Egg Blue
5. Goldie Girl
Horse Names Based on Type of Equine
There’s a whole list of names for each equine type, so you can use a unique horse name to suit your pet. Some imply the speed and strength of the horse, while others make a clever play on its prowess or personality.
|Arabian Names||American Saddlebred Names||Pinto Names||Quarter Horse Names|
|1. Royal Dancer|
2. Majestic Prince
3. Black Magic Woman4. Tango
6. Strutting Leo
7. Doc Bar
2. Flashy Lady
3. Golden Sunburst
5. Summer Sky
6. Lone Star
7. Autumn Wind
Cool Horse Names Based on Personality Type
Some horse names are based on the horse’s personality type. If you want to make your horse stand out, try giving it a unique name that makes a play on its personality traits.
- Ladybug: It’s bubbly and constantly going from one person to the next.
- Nero: It’s full of itself, but you can’t help but love it anyway.
- Goldilocks: It’s small and, well, golden.
- Peppy: It always has a spring in its step and doesn’t like to sit still.
- Snickers: It’s sweet and cuddly, but you can’t help feeling a little nervous around it.
- Trixie: It loves to pull pranks on its owners.
Horse Names for Well-Traveled and Cultured Equines
Horse breeds carry with them associations of different locations. If your horse has traveled to many strange places, it might be time to give its name a worldly flair.
- Philae: Named after an island in the middle of Lake Nasser.
- Oia: It’s been to the pyramids in Egypt and can’t wait to tell you all about it.
- Sultana: Named after a jeweled city in the middle of the desert.
- Poppy: Named after the red flowers that grow in fields.
- Aloha: It’s been to Hawaii.
- Sahrai: It knows about the secrets of Saharan dunes.
List of Cool Boy Horse Names
Cool Horse Names for Mares
Like the cool boy horse names, mare (female) horse names can be clever and fitting. Some mares are sweet and kind; others are sassy and feisty. Either way, they give the horse a unique personality that only further defines its name.
- Liberty: It can’t stand to be locked up.
- Stardust: It’s got a beautiful white coat.
- Sky: This mare is a friend to all.
- Sassy: It’s got a lot of sass and knows how to use it.
- Starlet: This mare always puts on the best show, no matter what else is going on.
- Sunshine: It has a sunny disposition.
Ideas for Racehorse Names
A racehorse needs a name that is straightforward to understand. These names speak to the speed and power of these horses, with some puns and wordplay thrown in for extra flair.
- Top Speed: It’s got the fastest speed of any colt or filly.
- Bolt from the Blue: It comes out of nowhere, a streak of color and light.
- Flash: It’s fast and flashy, always making a scene as it goes.
- Daredevil: It’s not afraid of anything or anyone.
- El Chupacabra: It’s known by this name because it chomps through all of its opponents.
- Fast Track: This horse is constantly moving.
- Tribal Spirit: It moves with a robust and steady gait.
Famous Horse Name Ideas
Many horses are named after famous people, both real and fictional. But, if a horse inspires its owner or jockey, it has to have a name with some pizzazz. Here are just a few great examples of names that have been used on both real and fictional horses over the years.
- Glorious Dawn: It’s a rising star in the racing world.
- Enchantress: This horse is beautiful and graceful, with a name that pays homage to the beauty of the natural world.
- Flying Ebony: Black as night and moves with the speed of lightning.
- Jetstream: It’s solid and swift, moving like a speeding bullet.
- Rainbow: It has a coat that shimmers in all of the colors of a rainbow.
- Risky Business: This horse is always taking risks; it never knows when to quit.
- Rocket Man: It’s beautiful and fast, moving like an out-of-this-world rocket.
Funny Horse Names
Every horse deserves a name it can be proud of, and a few funny names never hurt. These are some fun options to choose from when naming a horse.
- Blink: It moves so quickly that it might just disappear.
- Bamboozle: This name speaks to its ability to outfox its opponents.
- Buckaroo: It’s a western horse and adds flair to the rodeo.
- Loco: It’s a little crazy, and sometimes you can’t hold it back.
- Nutmeg: It gets this name because of the brown “nutmeg” coat coloring.
- Rogue: It’s wild and doesn’t always do what it’s supposed to.
A List of Indian Horse Names
Many people have been naming their horses with Indian words and names from Native American tribes. Here’s a list of some great options to choose from.
Suggestions for Unique Horse Names
If you’re still looking for the perfect name, here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
Cute Names for Horses
While it’s unnecessary to name a horse, you might feel more motivated if it has a cute name. So here are some suggestions for cute names for horses of all types.
- Albino: This horse is white as snow.
- Little Miss: It’s got a spunky personality, and it knows how to get what it wants.
- Boo Boo: This horse is always getting into trouble, but you can’t get mad at it.
- Buddy Bear: Always ready for some fun, and the name says it all.
- Bumper: It doesn’t have the best way of getting around, but it gets around just fine.
Our Tips for Horse Naming Inspiration
Horses can be named anything, and these suggestions are just to get you thinking about what might work. If none of these names fit your horse’s personality, then it’s time to think outside the box.
Naming a horse is a lot of fun, and there are no rules. It doesn’t have to sound severe or professional; it just has to have a name. It could have a simple one-syllable name, or it might have a long and complicated title with several words in between. The sky’s the limit, so let your imagination run wild.
Horses come from many different breeds that originated worldwide, all with their unique personalities and appearance. As a result, each species has its own set of standards that it must meet, and the requirements vary from one type of horse to another.
The best thing about horses is their unique personalities and how they react to their names. If you name a horse correctly, it will respond to its name and can easily be controlled. However, if you pick the wrong name, it might react to a completely different word or phrase than what you intended.